I started out with a Celeron II 566 and bumped it up to 1GHz right away, as I knew it would handle that. The corevoltage was 1.75V. But I wanted more...much more, so I increased the corevoltage to 2.1V and started increasing the FSB, step by step all the way up to 133MHz. It ran flawlessly at 1100MHz, but I had to get a 100% overclock, right?
Well, at 1133MHz, the CPU ran for a few hours at full load, and then just stopped. It was dead. I suspect that this was a case of, ironically, electromigration, and because of that I don't have any screenshots with the CPU above 1GHz.
Fig. 21 SiSoft Sandra CPU benchmark for the Celeron 566.
Fig. 22 SiSoft Sandra CPU multimedia benchmark for the Celeron 566.
Fig. 23 SiSoft Sandra memory benchmark for the Celeron 566.
As a replacement for the 566, I got a Celeron 700ES (Engineering Sample) that was pretested to 1050MHz with a retail Intel cooler, so there was a potential for a 1.2 - 1.3GHz overclock here. Strangely enough, this CPU wouldn't overclock to anything higher than 1050, no matter what I did. Very frustrating indeed.
Fig. 24 WcpuID screenshot of the Celeron 700ES.
Fig. 25 SiSoft Sandra CPU benchmark for the Celeron 700ES.
Fig. 26 SiSoft Sandra CPU multimedia benchmark for the Celeron 700ES.