This is the third major change to the original cooler. I used Aeroflex in the first version as well, but the sandwich I made at that time was held together by two sheets of aluminum that was zip-tied together without any form of clamping device:
Fig. 13 The old insulation.
Even though this solution was more than adequate for the purpose, it didn't look all that good, and I was also certain that with a few changes, I could make the insulation more efficient, thus being able to achieve even lover temperatures. After a tip from Michiel Mitchel in Canada, I started looking for electronic project boxes, and I did find a box that would fit perfectly.The holes for the slotket were made using a saw, and for the fittings I used a drill.
Fig. 14 Materials used for the new CPU enclosure.
As mentioned earlier, I used Aeroflex for insulation. I cut the sheet so that it fit perfectly inside the projectbox, and then carefully cut out the holes for the CPU and the slotket, the waterblock and the coldplate. It is very important to make it a tight fit, or else you might run into condense problems. The Aerofles is very cheap (I bought the big sheet you can see in the pic below for about $8), but it's about the best you can get.
Fig. 15 Insulating the CPU.
Fig. 16 Detailed picture of the insulation.
Fig. 17 CPU enclosure is done.
Insulating around the slot and the back of the motherboard is also very important when you are dealing with so low temperatures. I cut the aeroflex to roughly fit around the capacitors and filled the holes with silicone to make everything airtight
Fig. 18 Insulating the Slot1 connector and backside of the motherboard..
Fig. 19 CPU enclosure mounted.
The last picture show you the whole combo mounted and ready to run. The white cord is for the thermometer mounted on the front of my case, and the other cords are for powering the two 90W TECs.