Now that I’ve showed you how to build a supercooler and some of the theory behind it, let’s see how it performs:
I ended up at 735MHz with the core voltage at 2,5V, the RAM at 2-2-2, and cache latency set at 5. For stability testing I ran SETI for 72h and looped 3dMark2000 for hours without any hang-ups. I could boot into Windows at 750MHz, but unfortunately I couldn’t use it for anything, and I would not consider it as a successful overclock unless it’s 100% stable. Just to illustrate how it actually performs, I ran a few benchmarks in Sisoft Sandra at 466MHz, 700MHz and 735MHz.
Fig. 11 Benchmark results
Fig. 12 Benchmark results
I think these charts are quite clear: There is a big improvement, ca 58%, both in CPU speed and in Sisoft scores. The screenshot of Sisoft with the CPU at 735 shows how it compares to others, like a PIII500:
Fig. 13 Sisoft benchmark results
Fig. 14 Sisoft benchmark results
Fig. 15 WcpuID
That’s it. I’m done (for now). If you have anything on your mind, or want to discuss something in this tutorial, by all means, send me a mail. Just as a teaser for you guys: I bought a CeleronII 566 and I'm currently running it at 1003MHz with the core at -15C°, 1,75V so there is a potential of a 100% overclock here :)
Take care and be sure to check in from time to time for updates. I'm planning a heavy casemod soon. Everything is ready planned, and it's gonna be a killer!!
Update: The Mahogany Wooden Case posted here