As I said earlier, the radiator is supposed to dissipate the heat carried away by the water. When I choose my radiator, it was important to have one big enough to dissipate all the heat generated by both of the 90W peltiers, the CPU and having a little extra in case of a future upgrade. A CPU at 700MHz generates roughly 70W of heat, and with the increased core voltage adds, well honestly I really don’t know, but I would imagine about 20W should be more than enough. In other words: about 90W heat from the CPU. This is a total of 270W, so I would need a radiator that is capable of dissipating at least 300W. It should also be small enough to fit the rest of the construction, cause I didn’t want any loose parts. What I ended up with was a heater core from a ford Fiesta –84.
Fig. 8 The Radiator/heatercore
After everything in the coolingsystem was connected, I started it and checked for leaks and after a few minutes there were no signs of leakage. I let it run for three whole hours down in my basement before checking again. Everything worked perfect and there was a 1cm layer of ice forming on the coldplate. I scraped some if the ice away with my fingernail, and just like that, my fingertip was stuck to the coldplate. Too bad I don’t have any pictures of it.
Now it was ready to be tested with the computer up and running.
As some of you might know already, the Celeron core is limited to about 550-600MHz. There are only a few chips out there whether it be a 366, a 466 or any other based on the Mendocino-core that can go even close to 700. Since I already have had my lucky-chip running at 700 before (With a slot1 Alpha and a 58W TEC although not 100% stable) I started out at 7x100 with the core voltage set at 2,5V default on the Asus slotket. In BIOS I changed it to 2,3V just to be on the safe side. After booting into Windows I checked the temps in Motherboard Monitor.
Fig. 9 Motherboard Monitor readout
It said system = 21C°, and CPU = - 48C° and I was in a state of euphoria!!