The Prometeia comes in two flavours – the whole barebone system, and basecooler only. As we knew Chip-Con was about to release a LianLi kit for their basecooler, we opted for the latter solution. We all know the formidable quality of the LianLi cases, so that aspect will not be covered in this review.
Chip-Con's aluminium add-on kit comes with all necessary parts, detailed instructions for assembly, as well as a modification template for a LianLi. In addition to fitting the LianLi dimensions, the Prometeia add-on kit also fits the design
of the following Lian-Li cases:
- PC-60, -61, -65, -65B, -82, -6085A and -6085B.
The Prometeia add-on kit also fits the dimensions, although not
the design of the following models:
- PC-68, -6100, -7, -0703, -0700, -6083, -6087, -6089 and -6099.
We chose the LianLi PC-60 for this review.
The Prometeia cooler as it came from ChipCon
This is what the original Prometeia build look like -- black sidepanels and a black plastic front bezel. Maybe not the most appealing design in the world, but that is about to be changed. Drastically.
The cooler after removal of the original front and sidepanels
The first thing we did was to read the instructions thoroughly. To me, it was at times obvious that the manual was written by a person whose native tongue is not english. It's not badly written, but it needs a few adjustments. A few detailed pictures for instructional purposes wouldn't hurt either, even though this procedure is not to be performed by "un-authorized personnel" as expressly stated in the very beginning of the installation guide.
Adding the aluminum profiles for the LianLi kit
All aluminum profiles are fastened with doublesided carpet tape, and seems to be working perfectly fine. Precision is a must, and despite my perfectionist tendencies, I had to do a couple of the aluminum profiles twice. On the other hand, that might be the very reason I did it all over again.
LianLi kit attached to the cooler
In the picture above, you see the LianLi kit added to the Prometeia cooler. The assembly of the sidepanels and front bezel only took a few minutes -- basically a non event. But things are about to change, as we ran into a quite a few problems with the rest of "Operation Prometeia Conversion".